Stress has become an epidemic in modern society. Many people around the globe suffer from this. There are many things why people suffer from stress. Some symptoms of stress are headaches, back pain, gastrointestinal stress, anxiety, insomnia, heart failure, difficulty in making decisions, and difficulty in concentrating.
Our mind – if we can control it, it can control us. Problems at home, pressure from work, and difficulties in studies are some of the causes of stress. Stress can be damaging to your life. If you will not be aware of it, it may turn into a depression that will cause much more problem to your health.
I’ve list down five things that you can do to reduce stress in your lives.
- Meditate. Meditations have become widely used throughout the world to stay in the present and reduce stress. For a beginner, you can practice meditation for 5-10 minutes. First: sit comfortably, close your eyes, calm your mind, and breathe in and breathe out. You can try this mindful breathing by Thich Nhat Hanh: “Breathing in, I calm my body. Breathing out, I smile.” Practice it every day and you will see a total difference in your mind and body.
- Live in the moment. Living in the moment means forgetting the past and moving into your future. Go to nature, learn to appreciate the little things – be grateful, eat slowly – savor your food, listen with compassion, stop worrying, focus at the moment, help people in need, and follow your instinct.
- Learn to love yourself. Some of us may think it might be difficult because of many things that happened in our life. Learning to love yourself means to let go of your old self and accepting your new self. Practice affirming yourself in front of the mirror by saying this: “I love you (state your name), I really do. You are beautiful. And I forgive you.”
- Go out, meet new people, have fun. You can do this by yourself or with someone (friends, family, someone you can trust). You can travel, go to nature, feel the earth, and have fun. Forget your worries, and focus on the present moment. Start creating the life you wanted to have.
- Be Compassionate – help someone today. Every one of us can help even in a little way. Helping people can be in many different forms; you can listen to someone in need, connect to them and reflect positively. You can go out join outreach programs. You can help someone make his or her day meaningful. You can pay someone’s coffee, give them food, or give money to poor. You can give your time to someone you love that needs it. Everything is possible, make every moment counts.
Photo Credit: www.freepik.com
Designed by Chevanon